Spicy fall stew

spicy fall stew

I think I'll probably remain an old child for the rest of my life...

Yesterday, it was Halloween. When I was a child, Halloween in my country was only associated to the American culture we were exposed to. For us it was "this event we use to see in American movies" and nothing more. It wasn't common at all to celebrate Halloween.

But, this past few years, it has progressively become apparent : more and more decorations on Brussels streets, more and more monster-children begging at your doors, more and more celebrations in schools... nowadays, it's implanted as one of the most popular event of the year...

What for me, I don't feel the need to celebrate Halloween. But I have to admit that Halloween folklore inspires me a lot.

So yesterday, I wanted to make three things:
- scribbling a "Halloween cliche inspired stuff"
- having a movie night
- cooking a good fall stew for dinner

I eventually didn't have enough time for the movie night...
But, the stew was delightfully flavored: worth it!

Except the strong aromatic spices, the three (I love this number today!) main ingredients that turn this stew into a genuine fall stew are: butternut squash, mushrooms and chestnuts.

The chestnuts were given by one of my mother friends whose the father had a walk into the wood to collect them (not complicated!)
But there's something that could be considered as complicated: peeling chestnuts! I have a good new: after many years of struggles with this task, I've finally found the easiest way to peel chestnuts! I'll probably share my super efficient tip (maybe illustrated) in a few days, if you're interested.


So let's share the comforting fall stew to enjoy it together!

Ingredients:

- 250 raw butternut squash
- 15 peeled chestnuts
- 10 mushrooms
- 3 carrots
- 2 star anises
- 6 cloves
- a piece of ginger, well minced
- 1/2 ts garlic powder
- 1ts grounded cinnamon
- 1tbs mild paprika
- 1/3ts grounded nutmeg
- salt, pepper
- water
- unsweetened non dairy milk
- 1tbs corn starch, diluted in a little bit of water

Instructions:

Peel the butternut squash and cut it into cubes. Cut mushrooms in half. Cut carrots in small pieces. Put all you vegetables and chestnuts in a pot. Half cover with water, then add non dairy milk to fully cover. Put on the lid, turn on the heat and bring it to bowl. Then, add star anises, cloves, ginger, cinnamon, paprika, nutmeg and pepper. You can salt later. put on the lid, reduce the heat and let it cook during 15 to 20 minutes. Add the starch solution and let it thicken a little.

The stew is done and has the smell of calm and relaxing fall evenings... 😌

Comments

Popular Posts